Friday, February 8, 2013

Welcome in the Year of the Snake!

Just in time to welcome in the Year of the Snake and celebrate Chinese New Year, is my first bear for 2013!


A custom order for a lovely collector in Cambodia - this imperial Chinese princess is named Jia Li (pronounced Jah Lee) meaning 'good' and 'beautiful' in Chinese.


Because her costume is very intricate, I have deliberately kept the bear herself quite simple, except for her very detailed hand-painted eyes. Her fur lined hooded cape is made from crushed red velvet, lined with red and gold Chinese brocade, and her headpiece is hand-crafted by me in an intricate design of silk flowers, crystal and gold filigree.


I've got to say that after discovering and teaching myself how to needle felt last year, I'm absolutely loving it! This bear's face, eyelids and paw pads have all been needle felted in the softest white merino wool, then shaded with oil paints in varying depths of colour.

1 comment: